Previous Home Next
Paint On, Paint OffFriday, May 23, 2008
Okay, so it's time to see just how hard this is going to be... I've got all the baseboards, two window frames, and two door frames to strip down. Starting with the window in the middle of the back wall...

Something I'd noticed a while ago is that there seems to be a layer of paint in there somewhere that didn't bond too well to whatever was beneath it. As such, there are lots of areas where the outer layers of paint are actually separated from those beneath, making it rather simple to scrap away...

Unfortunately the windowsill isn't looking so good... (perhaps making a new one is the excuse I've been waiting for to get to set up and use the new router! :-)

Oh, and there are eight of these... I'm sure you're jealous... I can see it...

Fortunately, the baseboards strip very easily since I took off the top and bottom detail boards!

Then it's on to the next window...

Okay, so enough of that for a while... time to do some sanding (yeah, power tools!)

Oh, and in case we've forgotten, there's the reason we're doing this project! It's just hanging out up there, waiting... patiently... :-)

While I haven't yet pulled all of the outer paint layers off of everything (I've just got 1.5 door frames to go, but I'm afraid I'm going to be dreaming about paint flakes all night if I don't stop soon), I decided to give that a rest and try to do some stripping. First, we're going to try Citristrip, and N-Methyl Pyrrolidone (NMP) based stripper that smells like oranges that have been dipped in some nasty chemicals. Really, it's quite pleasant :-/

The instructions say to use a metal container (I'm guessing it probably eats through certain plastics), but I couldn't find anything decent in the basement, so I figured ceramic would probably work... I guess we'll see! ;-)

They say to let it sit for between 30 minutes and 24 hours, depending upon how much you need to take off. After a brief dinner break, here's what I found...

Sure seems to be doing something! And it's actually coming off quite nicely! Though areas where there were still multiple layers of paint aren't coming off so well, so I'm going to wait until morning when hopefully everything will be ready to come off...

So, with nothing much to do while I wait for the stripper to do it's thing, I decided to get out a can of primer, with the intention of perhaps putting a first coat on the ceiling...

But once the roller was wet, I decided to keep going... and going... and now I've discovered that it takes just a bit less than a single can to coat the whole room! Well, now I can easily see the areas that still need some patching, and thankfully there isn't much!

Until tomorrow...

Previous Home Next
blog comments powered by Disqus