Previous Home Next
That little victory feelingMonday, May 19, 2008
The last time we were in the attic was March 2nd. One of the numerous reasons why it's been a so long is that the next thing to do is run the new wiring down to the outlet on the back wall. What fun, you say! Hummm, I say... Well, I figured I'd better get this one out of the way so we can get the rest of the wiring taken care of. The objective here is to run all new wiring from the outlet at the base of the rear wall up to the soon-to-be-installed junction box in the attic (you may recall that all the outlets used to be controlled by the switch, and we're rewiring to get around that). So, here's our playground, with some of the old knob-and-tube wiring coming out of the target zone in the back wall.

After about twenty minutes trying to run the fishtape up the wall from the outlet box (yes, that was a lot of fun ;-), I tried pulling down on the old knob-and-tube wire, and found it actually moved a bit. Knowing that there were probably knobs attaching the wire to the studs, I figured I would tie a string to the old wire in the attic and pull it down, then I'd try to pull the fishtape through using the string, hoping that it would make it's way through/around the knobs. (FYI, the knobs look like those in the photo below, borrowed from oldhouseweb.com)

So, for the string... strangely, I've never bought any twine (add that to the next Home Depot list!), but I found some nice kite string... and the first part went well (you can see the string coming out of the outlet in the picture on the right)

but the second part (pulling the fishtape through) only went well for the first half before it got stuck on something, somewhere, and broke :-(

Back to trying to push the fishtape... from the top this time...

Nope... that didn't work - there seems to be something horizontal about half way down the wall (I think it's actually a piece of wood and a metal pipe that runs out to what I think was an old gas lamp by the window). Anyhow, this wasn't working, so it was back to trying it from the bottom (yes,where I started!)... but now...

Somehow it worked! I quickly took the roll of wire up to the attic, securely tied and taped the end to the fishtape, and while constantly expecting something to go wrong, started pulling it through from below. Then...

SUCCESS! I think I'm going to leave that fishtape on there for a day or two, just to remember this moment! It took about three hours, but now there's pretty new wire running all the way to the soon-to-be junction box...

One thing about this whole process - I got a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs - you see, Katherine is at a conference in California right now (note to self - don't try this alone again :-)

Previous Home Next
blog comments powered by Disqus