|Last night before I went to bed I remembered that Wednesdays are trash days around here, and I saw on the website that each house is allowed up to six 32 gallon containers. This couldn't have come at a better time as I've been generating plenty of debris down in the basement and elsewhere. After setting out five full trash cans plus another bag, I realized that it wasn't even enough! I was fortunate to run into a construction worker outside 4200 Pine (the newly renovated condominium building around the corner) who said that I could deposit some of my construction waste in their dumpster (perfect for the plaster and lath that I'll be generating later today). By the end of the day I think I carried somewhere around 80 gallons of plaster chunks and three huge bundles of lath the 200 steps from the back door of the basement to the edge of the 4200 Pine dumpster.
I think I spent about six hours getting the basement ceiling torn out and the room cleaned up so that I can paint the joists. One concern that I'd had going into this today was that the remaining section was over the washer and dryer. I was able to move the washing machine out of the way, but as the dryer was gas, I didn't really want to mess with it. Fortunately I still had some of the cardboard boxes from the shelves I installed last night which fit nicely over the dryer.
As I was making my way across the room while tearing down the ceiling, I felt like either I was getting taller or the ceiling was getting lower. It was only when I finally looked down that I realized that I was standing on between four and six inches of demolished plaster!
After removing all the plaster and lath, I spent a couple hours scraping and brushing off the joists to get it ready for a coat or two of primer. While I'd hoped to put the first coat on this evening, the cleanup took a bit longer than expected, so it looks like it's going to be tomorrow morning. And with any luck, I won't even need to go to the hardware store tomorrow!
blog comments powered by Disqus